Rise and Shine
It's no secret that the things you do first thing in the morning will set the tone for your day. The morning to me is my favorite time of day and I dedicate that time as 'me time'. For me, when I first wake up I'm the freshest I'll be all day and I use those moments to reflect, to set the intention for the day and to energize. The key is to keep is all super simple and allow yourself the time you need so that it doesn't add to the rush if you are someone who needs to be out the door at a certain time or have a few other minions to assist along the way. As with everything do what you can with what you have. If you can get 3 mornings in a week to yourself, bonus! Here's my morning routine for a feel good day.
- Start with a stretch: How good does it feel to do a little stretch first thing in the morning? Take a cue from your pets they know where it's at. Need a little inspo? I got a little video for ya: Try a little yoga in bed.
- Coconut oil: Ok, here's the secret to whiter teeth, total body detox and fresh breath. As we sleep all the toxins in our body rise to the surface in our mouths and it's important to pull them out (oil pulling) and then scrape them away (tongue scraping) I oil pull while I run through my morning routine 5-10 minutes and you're done! I guarantee brighter eyes, teeth and healthier skin.
- Morning reflection: While I'm oil pulling I slip back in bed a few minutes and write in my gratitude journal. This is the space where I create my intention for the day. Sometimes I set the intention myself, other times I'll draw an angel card and pull my inspiration from there. I always end with at least 3 things I'm grateful for in life. It's my thank you to the universe for giving me another day to live, to dream and to inspire.
- Hot lemon water: Want a quick and easy (oh and super cheap!) way to detox your body in the morning and flush your system? Not to mention I find hot lemon water to be a soothing greeting to the morning sun. Drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning hydrates thelymphatic system, aids digestion, balances pH levels in your gut, clears skin and energizes the body. Not bad for a simple tonic :0) Just boil water and squeeze the juice from 1/4 lemon. Cheers!
- Move: Up and at 'em! I'm a morning workout person. Honestly, I do it in the morning because then I don't have to think of it the rest of the day, it's over I've done it and I can move on. Also, I'm a much happier and energetic person when I've done a little exercise in the morning. Sometimes it's weights at the gym, others a home yoga practice, a run, a yoga class or truth be told a dance party in my living room. Doesn't matter what it is just get your body moving, heart pumping and shake a little sweat out.
How do you start your day?
From my heart to yours,