And the Emmy Goes to...
Some people live for football season. I, live for awards season. While it isn't officially awards season just yet, it is premiere week for all my favorite shows and what better way to kick it all off than with the 68th Annual Prime Time Emmys? After all, what is a blog about life, style and mindful living without a Hollywood celebration of dreams coming true and a little glitz & glam recap? I am a firm believer that the woman makes the dress, the dress does not make the woman but I had to share my top red carpet looks along with my most inspiring moments from the night.
It goes without saying that Jimmy Kimmel as host this year was absolutely hilarious. He set the intention to make the Emmys great again and he delivered on his promise. He was off the cuff, naturally quick witted and full of surprises. From lines like " Transgendered was born a drama but now identifies with being a comedy" to homemade peanut butter sandwiches by mom, and outing Hollywood's "most difficult" celebrities, Kimmel broke down the 4th wall and had me feeling like I was sitting there live myself!
Most people watch awards shows to be in the know of who wore what better (I'll get to my top dress picks in a quick NY minute), but honestly my favourite part is always the speeches. This year's winners had me feeling a medley of emotions. One minute I'm crying, the next I'm laughing hysterically (God Bless Aziz Ansari) and then right after I'm almost jumping off my couch cheering. Here are my top 5 Inspired moments of the night:
- Jill Soloway thanking the transgendered community for their lived lives.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus commemorating her late father: " I'd like to dedicate this to my father, William Louis-Dreyfus who passed away on Friday, I'm so glad that he liked Veep because his opinion was the one that really mattered."
- Sterling K. Brown accepting Outstanding Supporting Actor for The people vs. O.J Simpson. All of it. He was humbly flawless.
- Sarah Paulson's dedication and apology to Marcia Cross
- Rami Malek honouring all the 'Elliots' and the 'Elliot' in all of us
Bonus: Keri Russel's slit sweep when she came out to present. It was random and weird but I liked it.
Now for the Glam! There was a marvelous mixture of colour, gold, nude and glitter this year but I chose 3 looks that I felt really stood the test of time with their simplicity, elegance, and sophistication.
- Kerri Washington fearlessly showing off her baby bump in a black cutout Brandon Maxwell ( and rocking her curls)
- Priyanka Chopra fun and flawless wearing an asymmetrical Jason Wu design
- Emily Ratajkowski stunning in Zac Posen
With Honorable mention going out to Natalie Morales, Canada's own Holly Taylor and Keltie Knight.
Final thoughts: Dear Hollywood and Primetime,
Thank you for an inspired evening of brain and eye candy. You nourished every fiber of my soul.
*Photo Cred: Getty Images*