Michelle's Must-Haves : Beauty Basics
There's no secret that we all have our own little bag of beauty tricks in our everyday arsenal to ward off the signs of ageing. I'm sure we could all sit over a glass of wine and laugh about all the silly trends we've bought into and the drug store rivaled bathroom cupboards we've filled with expired, opened, half used and tossed aside products. I won't even try to lie and give full disclosure that I have often been a marketers dream. If the package offered a hint of glint I tried it. Yet over the years it has felt so much better to strip down to the basics and just keep it simple (not to mention the extra found storage space). There are a few key items and beauty non-negotiables I use everyday and I share them here with you.
- Genius Ultra Anti-Aging Device: OK my friends, this bad boy is the bees knees. With 3 heat settings, gentle pulses massage your favorite products into your skin allowing them to travel below the skins surface and perform at their optimal level. (Goodbye wrinkle across my forehead and hello amazing renewed skin!) I use it with my serum and eye cream. But the truth is, I've been getting lots of questions lately about my lips, wondering if I've done anything and in a way I have. I've been using my lip plumping treatment balm with my device. Boom! Instant collagen boost for my forehead and my lips! Get yours here.
- Dry Brush: From high tech to plain and simple, there is nothing basic about the benefits of dry brushing. I'm not gunna lie, at first I was skeptical but let me tell you I crave dry brushing now and I know when my body needs it. Do it every day, every couple of days or once a week. Find what works for you and enjoy the benefits of natural detoxification, lymphatic drainage, exfoliation, clear pores, reduced cellulite, increased energy and blood flow.
- Foreo ISSA Hybrid Toothbrush: This is not your average electric toothbrush. I love how it helps to reduce my carbon footprint since you only need to replace the head once a year. The silicone head gently cleanses and whitens teeth while also being super gentle on gums which is good for enthusiastic brushers like me.
- Coconut oil: The first thing I do everyday is oil pulling. I used to be addicted to using teeth whiteners. I had trays, strips, washes, you name it I had it (and the sensitive aching teeth to go along with them). I promise I haven't done any of that for years but I get asked all the time how I get my teeth so white. Voila! It's natural and oh so simple. A spoonful of coconut oil and swish, swish, swish while I boil my water, write in my gratitude journal and make my bed. Do what you can with the time you have and aim for the sweet spot between 5-10 minutes. Not only does oil pulling whiten teeth, it removes bacteria, pulls away toxins and freshens breath. If you're a little leery of the texture and taste at first Skinny & Co. has a minty version just for oil pulling. Other uses for coconut oil: (it really is a cure all) Wipe off eye makeup, rub it on dry elbows, knees and heels, works as a lip balm, moisturizer in the bath and deep conditioner for hair. Talk about bang for your buck!
- Clarisonic Mia: I'll never forget how excited I was to get my Clarisonic years ago and I think my excitement gets renewed every time I use it. I swear, i look forward to it every time I wash my face. (I'm a skincare nerd.) If you want brighter, problem free skin, this is your solution! Exfoliate, deep cleanse and brush away daily dirt, oil and pollutants that get trapped in the skin every day (and you end up using less product as well which in the end saves money) Woot!
- Tongue Scraper: After the oil pulling it is super important to scrape your tongue. The two are BFF's like peanut butter and jelly. As you sleep, the toxins in your body rise to the surface in your mouth (meet morning breath), oil pulling literally pulls them away and then tongue scraping removes the toxins completely. You'll notice your eyes and skin get brighter, your taste buds crave healthier foods as well as that morning breath monster moves away because he lives for toxic environments and you've just given him an eviction notice. God Bless and goodbye!