Chia Seed Strawberry Jam
What's the first long weekend of summer and Canada's 150th celebration without a little time spent outdoors taking in some of the fabulous fresh air this country has to offer? After picking some beautiful Ontario strawberries, I made a super simple and healthy, homemade strawberry jam. A recipe so simple it only has 3 ingredients! With the added benefits of vitamin C from the strawberries and the omega 3's, fiber, antioxidants and iron from the Chia seeds, you'll feel good about serving this naturally sweet treat to everyone you love.
- 4 Cups of Fresh Strawberries (cut in halves)
- 2-3 TBSP of Honey (I only used 2)
- 21/2 TBSP of Chia Seeds
- Place strawberries in a saucepan with honey and cook on medium heat while stirring.
- As strawberries soften you can mash them with a potato masher (Note: a hand whisk is not a potato masher. Also Note: I need a potato masher. Third note: you can skip the mashing and use a blender in step 4, depends if you want a smooth jam or jam with full pieces in it. Yogi's choice)
- Once Strawberries begin to bubble, add chia seeds and cook for about another minute or two on low heat.
- If you want a smooth textured jam, place in the blender and blend a few seconds.
- The Chia seeds will take a few hours to work their jelly magic, pour mixture into glass jars (I filled 3 small jars) and refrigerate a few hours.
- Serve on toast at breakfast, with peanut butter at lunch, croissants and biscuits with tea or on crackers and cheese as a fresh addition to your summer charcuterie.